Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Revolving Door

I wrote a post last week about the loneliness of visiting grad school, but it's not just students who move through the revolving door in academia, the academics do, to. This summer, two of my favorite professors are moving on to bigger and better things. One is a friend, along with her partner. We had them over on Monday night to eat pizza off of paper towels in our near-empty new house. I've been in denial that they're leaving, but they have now set a date for the beginning of August, so it's finally real. They will only be a few hours away, so I hope we can stay in touch and visit often.

One of my best friends lives only 2 hours away and is starting to think it's time to move on. I plan to send her every job ad I can find that is within driving distance. I want her to get a good job, but I also want to be able to visit!

I, on the other hand, will be staying put in my first job. I am very happy here and now that we have bought a house, we have committed ourselves to developing roots here. I'm looking forward to roots, it's been so long since I've stayed in one place.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

:( We'll miss you Mary. xo Netter

Anonymous said...

But now you can explore the wildlife and libraries of central New York!