Thursday, August 28, 2008

Instruction Handout

There's an interesting conversation going on in the ILI listserv about handouts in library instruction classes. In my two years of teaching, I couldn't imagine not giving them something in print to take with them, do what they may with it. It seems that is the consensus from the respondents on the listserv.

It's interesting to see the variation in what they put in those handouts, too. I am planning to use more PowerPoint presentations in my upcoming classes and wasn't sure what to do with the handouts. I have some good ideas, and for the first time the handouts won't be just the outline of the class, and should bring in some active learning elements. I'm getting excited about teaching now that I've started to prepare! I do like teaching, I love the one-on-one time towards the end of the session, but I hate the prep work. The two classes I have started working on are fun, though, and I'm bringing in lots of pictures from I Can Has Cheezburger... though my husband is terrified I will embarrass him when I told him I have cute cat pictures in my presentation.

No comments: