Friday, June 6, 2008

Complaining

I need to complain. I don't know if this is Office 2007 or if the old version did this, too. I received a document through e-mail, opened it directly from the e-mail, made lots of changes to this 17-page document, clicked "Save" before closing, then closed it. Well, since I never clicked "Save As," it saved somewhere in limbo and seems to be permanently lost. Today I went under Recent Documents to try to open it, and it was nowhere to be found. I looked in the Temp folder on my C drive, and there wasn't anything in it. I haven't even turned my computer off since I did this. I know it's ultimately my fault and I should have known better, but I don't understand why it can't bring up the Save As menu when you click Save, just as it would if it was a brand new document.

The document was a contract to buy a house, so I think I made all of the changes again (I fortunately printed a copy yesterday), but I hope nothing got lost in all that legalese. Technology is frustrating when it can't make up for you being distracted.

1 comment:

Alysha said...

Hi Mary. I called ITS several times to help students with this same problem. Of course on the public computers it's even harder because you don't have access to the C:\ drive or any of that.

I don't think it's a problem with Word 2007...I think it's GroupWise. It does something funky when you open documents and try to save.