Monday, April 28, 2008

Sprylibrarian

I love blogging, but there are still things I don't understand. During the whole non-MLS-librarians thing where I gained a bit of notoriety (and probably not the good kind), I had a comment from the Sprylibrarian that was very supportive and intelligent. I wanted to read her blog, but couldn't find it by clicking on her name or through a Google search. I must not have been doing a good job at Google searching, or gave up too quickly (I have been struggling at not spending too much time looking at blogs since I got into them at the beginning of the semester). Anyway, my Google Alert on "Reflections from a Small College Library" returned her blog, which links to mine under her "What I look at" section. I'm not sure which excites me more, that she's put me as a permanent link on her blog or that I finally found hers, esp. since she is also from a small college.

This is a wonderful way to start a new week, esp. the first week of summer for us and a particularly dreary Monday morning when I am stressed out about many huge life changes and minor frustrations with myself and office politics.

I am planning on spending a good part of the morning reading this, esp. since there is a heavy focus on marketing and I think that is the key thing our library could work on. We've got great people, great services, an impressive colletion, good faculty-relations, innovative ideas, a top-notch instruction program, yet struggle to get students involved.

I don't understand how our students aren't overwhelmed by the amount of information available to them. I have all but given up fiction and am reading stuff like Beginning Flash Game Programming for Dummies and Home Buying for Dummies. I'm overwhelmed by trying to learn basic programming as quickly as possible for my professional activities, and gather all necessary information to get married and buy a house this summer. I feel sometimes like my brain will explode. I guess most people don't bother with seeking out information for buying a house and making informed decisions. That probably is why the housing market is currently in so much trouble.

I digress. Thank you Sprylibrarian for linking to me so that I could find you!

No comments: