Thursday, January 24, 2008

iGoogle

I must sing the praises of iGoogle. How did I not know about this before? You can customize it in endless ways, have all of your RSS feeds in one convenient place, have a cyber pet to keep you company throughout the day, play hangman or Tetris... oh, be still my heart. And it's actually easy to use and is incredibly useful. Since I'm often looking stuff up in the dictionary throughout the day, I added a search box directly to my page. I also have a minimized box that will show me movies playing at local theaters, a to-do list (I am all about those), local weather, and a daily Shakespearian Insult box. And I chose a header that is a dynamic map that shows what part of the world is currently experiencing sunlight.

I don't want to clutter up my main page with my RSS feeds, so I added those to an additional tab. Adding new feeds is very easy. I already added one for our library's blog, even though I'm the one who updates it.

I just contacted our catalog vendor to ask about creating a widget that would search our catalog. We already have a quick search box on our Web site, which by definition is a widget, but I don't know how to get it to iGoogle. I think this isn't an unfair thing to ask a vendor to create.

Oh, technology heaven is here!

No comments: